Thursday, July 17, 2008

On boating and alcohol...


Unless you are a practising alcoholic or from another planet, we would pretty much have to agree that the concept of drinking and driving is a universally bad idea. To say nothing of tempting the Law of Natural Selection... In certain Muslim countries, it's actually punishable by death. Then again so is female education, but I digress...

For some reason, many people have some sort of mental block when it comes to transposing this rationalization to the operation of pleasure craft. They somehow believe that piloting a boat while out of your mind on booze, should be totally acceptable. That it is in fact one of their inalienable rights of summer. Once again, this would only apply if you were a practising alcoholic. So a word to the wise here: drinking and boating is every bit as dangerous and retarded a practise as drinking and driving a car!! Or drinking and piloting a plane! In the Province of Ontario, it'll cost you your automobile driver's license when you're snagged! And that's not counting the fines you'll incur as well. It's $600.00 for your first offense, not counting administrative fees, etc... And if you injure of kill someone else? Well, you'll be paying for a very, very long time.

One of my fellow information officers here recently asked me: "Still don't get why they would even question about alcohol… it seems pretty logical to me, driving something…. responsible for others lives… when drinking you barely know which way is up, imagine in the water…... humm no alcohol means no alcohol… not brain surgery here… seems pretty simple to me….why the questions and arguments….????"

I of course had to reply: "Because apparently people are innately stupid, sad to say...". I can only hope that there are those out there who will want to prove me wrong. Trust me, nothing would make me happier...

No comments: