Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The best thing about travelling...



There are many aspects I truly enjoy, when it comes to travelling. I love seeing different sights, grand panoramic vistas, experiencing different cuisines, meeting new people and being exposed to different experiences and cultures. This upcoming trip promises some truly outstanding scenery and of course the unparalleled pleasure of riding some of the premier motorcycle roads this entire continent has to offer. The scenery from the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains, some 6,000 ft. above sea level at Mt. Pisgah, NC, is nothing short of spectacular.

I will have many enjoyable moments on this trip, I have no doubt. But I will miss that one particular joy that I was so looking forward to... that of sharing this experience with someone else, for whom it would also be brand new. To be able to see the thrill, the joy of discovery mirrored in their eyes as well. Well, okay... assuming that they would be able to appreciate the beauty around them, of course. I have been very fortunate in my life, to have travelled extensively. It has been one of my greatest satisfactions and in many cases, formed some of the highlights of my life. But I do not consider my travelling days done yet. Not by any means. I'm far too young to quit just yet.

I suppose for those who do not wish to or have never travelled, there is nothing to miss. For myself? I believe I would rather have a large store of memories to reflect on, for those days when I am no longer able to wander as I please. I may never get to visit all the places which call to me, during my lifetime. But I'll wager that I'm going to give it a pretty good shot...

No comments: