Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Standing knee-deep in a river..."


I was looking at Spider's photograph on the weekend and my mind carried me back to a period in time. It was the summer of 1993. It was a period of extreme highs and extreme lows in my life. And Spider was there for all of it. One of my favorite songs from that period, is one that still reverberates with me. I was very big on the "new country" back then and many songs I had adopted from that period, now occupy space on my iPod today. Not only because their lyrics were actually intelligible, but because they conveyed values and beliefs that I continue to share.

Artists such as Garth Brooks, Travis Tritt, Aaron Tippin, Alabama, The Judds, Kathy Mattea, Trisha Yearwood, Patty Loveless and many others.

One of my very favorites was and still is, Kathy Mattea. Not simply because I found her to be a hauntingly beautiful woman at the time, but because she possesses a very strong, rich and emotionally convincing voice. 'Lonesome Standard Time', which had been released in 1992, was her banner album that year, which featured many songs that did very, very well for her. Not least of which was the title track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSGm_hOU7fw

Among my favorites on this album, is the following which I am sure, many people out there will be able to relate to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWyFW1siCwQ

Standing knee deep in a river (Dyin' of Thirst)

Artist: Kathy Mattea
Album: Lonesome Standard Time
Writers: Bucky Jones, Bob McDill & Dickey Lee.

Friends I could count on,

I could count on one hand,
With a leftover finger or two.
I took 'em for granted,
Let 'em all slip away.
Now where they are, I wish I knew.

They roll by just like water,
And I guess we never learn.
Go through life parched and empty,
Standin' knee deep in a river and dyin' of thirst.

Sometimes I remember.
Sweethearts I've known.
Some I've forgotten, I suppose.
One or two still linger,
Oh, and I wonder now,
Why I ever let them go.

They roll by just like water,
And I guess we never learn.
Go through life parched and empty,
Standin' knee deep in a river and dyin' of thirst.

So the sidewalk is crowded,
The city goes by.
And I rush through another day,
And a world full of strangers,
Turn their eyes to me,
But I just look the other way.

They roll by just like water,
And I guess we never learn.
Go through life parched and empty,
Standin' knee deep in a river and dyin' of thirst.

They roll by just like water,
And I guess we never learn.
Go through life parched and empty,
Standin' knee deep in a river and dyin' of thirst.

**********************************

This song serves as a good reminder for me, not to take those who share (and have shared) this life of mine for granted. To appreciate all my friends and loved ones. As has been proven time and time again, just like that... they are gone.

No comments: