Friday, September 19, 2008

First frost...


So it's official... This morning, 19 September, I saw my first appearance of frost on the roofs in our neighborhood. I suppose this is an irrefutable sign that fall is indeed upon us and worse yet, a hint of the other stuff which is to follow.

Already I find myself looking through the pictures I have on my computer here at work, of our last trip down to Punta Cana. Those tantalizing shots on the beach... those endless vistas of sand and sea. I can almost feel the warm, gentle breezes caressing my skin, as I walk for mile after mile along that sun-drenched coastline. The smell of cocoa-butter sunscreen comes wafting across the air, mingling with the salt of the crashing surf...

I came to a sort of epiphany down there, as I strolled along unhurriedly. This, I reasoned, must be what man is intended to do with his days. Our internal barometer is never wrong and mine was telling me, insisting, that this was what it really would like to do forever. Doctors always tell us to listen to our body when it speaks to us. I knew mine had to be right...

According to my wife, my body (or a certain area of it...) only speaks to her during the night, when the rest of me is fast asleep. But I digress... Whiling away my days on a beach, with not a care in the world, seemed like the most natural and stress-free existence imaginable. I live for the day when I once more feel my feet on that wonderful sand...

No comments: