Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A little custom physiotherapy...


During this Thanksgiving weekend, I found a way to be even more thankful than I would normally be. I pulled the bike from the garage and flashed her up. As she idled along, I gently rolled her backwards down the driveway, until her rear tire rested in the street. Then, I snicked her into first and rode her up the driveway, until I reached the open garage door. There, I would haul the clutch in and put her in neutral.

I would then allow her to roll backwards again, until we wound up in our starting position once more. Again, I would ride her up to the garage door and put her in neutral. I did this a number of times, not only to warm the engine, but to warm my heart and stoke the flames of hope and determination. I could not suppress the smile this brought to my face. It allowed my arms to stretch to their appointed positions on the handlebars. I could feel muscles, tendons and sinews of my atrophied left arm working overtime, as I handled the bike coasting in reverse, operated the clutch and took the strain of the bike lunging forward under power.

One thing I did discover, is that the shifter pedal has to be raised some, to accomodate a riding boot under it, without having to go 'digging' for it. I also discovered that my arm is not as strong as it needs to be yet. Still, it was a marvellous bout of physio. As good for the body as it was for the morale. I have a sneaking suspicion that I just might get in that one last hurrah, before the snow flies...

I can only work, hope and pray...

No comments: