Thursday, July 9, 2009

Not bad for a Thursday...

Had an interesting start to the day, this morning. I was heading in along Innes Road when some young fella in a dark green, late model Chevy pick-up, decided he was gonna cut me off. He didn't signal his lane change, he didn't even look... Now, anyone who rides knows that these instances occur on a daily basis. I was able to avoid him but that of course is not the point.

The last time some asshole did that, I wound up being reconstructed in the Ottawa General Hospital. Had he cut me off inadvertently and actually showed some sign of embarassment or regret, I might have been able to let it slide and chalk it up to an experience lesson for him. No way... We locked eyes in his rear view mirror after I had used my horn and illuminated him with my passing lamps. The look I got back was nothing short of a smirk. A real: "Fuck you... what you gonna do?" look. That pretty much settled it.

He then proceded to lane hop back into the right-hand lane, no look, no signal, almost clipping a smaller car that had decided to head there as well. By this time, I had committed his plate to memory. I was not going to let this little bastard get away with this. We hit the lights at the intersection of Innes Road and the turnoff for Blackburn Hamlet. I pulled even with him and and called him out. "I'm fixin' to report you ass, little boy! You done fucked with the wrong man this time!" "Wh-what??", he asked lamely. The light changed and he sped off, 'bravely' waving his middle finger at me. I'd like to say that that motion sealed his fate right there, but I had decided some time back that he was gonna pay.

He rolled up his window as I passed him, but I was done with him. He wasn't going to overtake my morning ride in. I had all the info on him that I needed to report him to the authorities. I enjoyed the rest of the ride in, chuckling at the thought of his surprise upon receiving the summons for a court appearance in the mail. Upon arriving at work, I phoned the incident in to Ottawa's finest in, providing the Call Centre agent with all the information she could possibly need. Vehicle description, Ontario truck plate (900 7VT), driver description, time of day, location, direction of travel, my particulars, etc... I will definitely attend a court hearing, if it is required of me. I might even sue for my day's wages to attend the hearing...

We all suffer moments of inattention in traffic. I am no exception. But not when conducting a manoeuvre like changing lanes, merging or overtaking. If we do something stupid, it is only expected that we make the other driver realize that it was not done intentionally. The type of arrogance and foolhardiness displayed by this young boy, is something that should be greeted with an absolute zero tolerance. I for one have had enough of it...

Work itself? Wonderful as usual. Good people around me, weather getting warmer all the time, sunshine... How could the day not be a good one. And hey, I get to ride home when I'm off too. Now... if there was only some way I could avoid all those young assholes...

No comments: