Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The accident / L'accident...


When filling out a Workman's Compensation Form, it is vitally important to describe precisely the events leading up to a workplace accident. The worker who turned in the following compensation claim, understood this only too well...

His job for that day consisted in bringing down from the roof of a two-storey building, a pile of bricks which were left over from the twin chimneys.

Here is how he described what happened (you'll have to forgive the vulgarity, but it's just too funny...):

"I though I'd save myself some time. I fashioned a beam with a pulley at the roof's apex. I then strung a rope through the pulley, so that both ends extended down to the ground. I attached an empty barrel to one end of the rope and then pulled it up to the top of the roof. I tied off the free end of the rope to a nearby tree. I then climbed up to the top of the roof, where I proceded to fill the barrel with bricks. Having done that, I climbed back down and loosened the rope from the tree.

But the fucking barrel was way too heavy for me at this point and before I knew what was happening, I was yanked up into the air. I was now too high up to let go so, not really having a choice, I held on for dear life. Halfway up, I met the barrel which was plummetting earthward and it smashed into my shoulder. Jesus Christ that hurt!! I almost swooned from the pain...

That's not the end of it either. I kept rocketing upwards until reaching the top, I smashed my head into the beam and my fingers got caught in the pulley... I thought I was going to pass out. At that same moment, the barrel hits the ground, the bottom splits out of it and the barrel empties itself. Sonovabitch!! Now I'm heavier than the barrel... so now I'm the one plummetting earthward. Halfway down, I now meet the barrel rocketing upwards... It didn't miss me and just about shattered my left fucking leg. I turned white as a sheet.

Hitting bottom, I crash-landed on the pile of bricks. I thought for sure I was going to die. I couldn't focus, I was stunned and my ears were ringing. I let go of the rope at that point and of course, the barrel then fell back down striking me square on the fucking skull. I awoke in the hospital two days later. For this reason, I am hereby applying for sick leave and workman's compensation benefits."


**************************

Lorsqu'on fait une déclaration d'accident de travail, il est important de décrire précisément la façon dont l'accident s'est produit. Le travailleur qui a produit la déclaration qui suit, l'avait bien compris...
Son travail consistait à descendre du toit d'un édifice de deux étages un surplus de briques qui était resté sur le toit.


Voici comment il décrit ce qui s'est passé (désolé pour la vulgarité, mais c'est trop drôle) :

J'pensais sauver du temps. J'ai fixé un madrier avec une poulie en haut de la bâtisse et j'ai passé une corde dans la poulie avec les deux bouttes qui descendent jusqu'à terre. J'ai attaché un baril vide au boutte de la corde, pis j'lé monté en haut de la bâtisse. Ensuite j'attache l'autre boutte de la corde à un arbre. La j'monte sul toit, pis j'remplis l'baril de briques. Ensuite je r'tourne en bas pis j'viens pour détacher la corde pour faire descendre le crisse de baril.

Mais le tabarnac de baril est benque trop pesant pour moué et avant que je réalise quoi que ce soit, hostie, le baril me monte en l'air yenque d'une chote. La chu trop haut pour lâcher la corde j'avais pas le choix, j'ai tenu la corde en hostie. À moitié chmin j'recontre le crisse de baril qui descendait. J'ai reçu un calvaire de coup sur l'épaule; tabarnac que ça m'a fait mal...

Mais cè pas tout; moué j'continue à monter, rendu en haut, j'me pette la tête su l'câlisse de madrier pis j'me prends les doigts dans l'hostie de poulie... J'pensait parde connaissance. Quand l'baril touche à terre, l'fond pette pis l'baril se vide. Asteur, ciboir, chus plus pesant que l'baril; ça fa qu'hostie la j'descends en tabarnac, pis à moitié chemin en descendant, j'rencontre encore le crisse de baril qui, lui montait. Y m'a pas manqué l'câlisse, y m'a pogné dret s'une jambe, chu v'nu blême.

Rendu en bas, j'mécrase sul câlisse de tas de brique. J'pensa mourir là. Rendu là j'me rappelle pu grand chose; chu tout étourdi, ça fa que l'lâche la crisse de corde pis l'baril se met à r'descendre pis me câlisse un coup sa tête pis j'me r'trouve à l'hôpital. C'est pour ça que je d'demande un congé de maladie.


No comments: