Friday, August 28, 2009

Baby's 61st...


Wednesday morning, I backed Baby out of the driveway and headed in to work. I ran through the serpentine which leads to Innes Road and was lucky enough to get a break in the traffic, which allowed me to carry on with my left-hand turn, when I had reached the end of Dorima. For it being 0640hrs, traffic was already starting to build as we headed Westward. I travelled along as far as Jeanne D'Arc, where I then turned right and headed North towards St.Joseph.

I was quite happy that the Rockcliffe Parkway was now open for business as usual. I had gotten to enjoy the alternate route of Innes/Blair/Ogilvie and Aviation, but I was more than ready to leave the traffic behind by returning to my old and favorite way into work. As I reached the Bottom of Jeanne D'Arc and St.Joseph, the light changed to red and we were made to cool our heels for a bit. I happened to glance down at the odometer. It read 61,003kms. I patted Baby's tank and muttered: "Happy 61st, Baby...". Each thousand klicks is an anniversary of sorts. A milestone. I try to notice and remember where I am whenever I see the thousand mark changing. Not with any great success, however.

The light changed and our line headed left along St.Joseph. I swung to the outside lane, rapidly upshifting to 4th and then settling into a slow cruise. I still really eyeball the intersection at Youville, everytime I come up on it. That being the site of my life-altering accident last year... We cruised through, unmolested... The air was remarkably cool. A chilly 9 degrees, if I remember right. Clearly a sign that whatever "summer" we had been accorded for this year, was now drawing to a close. The leather and fleece Bristol neck wrap I had decided to put on before leaving home, felt decidedly toasty. It was not even September yet and we were at the beginning of fall. Still, fall riding is probably my favorite.

As we engaged the Parkway, there were a couple of cars ahead of me and a couple behind. We strung out so that there was a comfortable distance between The remainder of the ride in was casual, non life-threatening, good. We passed our 'sacrificial lamb' near the Rockcliffe Airport. The Mounties were writing him up as we motored by. Stereotypical young guy with the backwards hat on, obviously not paying attention. Too bad, so sad... Better him than me. We arced over the airport overpass, sweeping into the long left-hander which led us past the RCMP stables. I felt as though I could ride all day...

Before I knew it, I was pulling into the parking lot on Clarence Street. So much for my daydreams of a prolonged road trip. I backed Baby into her habitual spot and shut her down. "Sorry, Hon... No more fun for this morning!" I dismounted, payed for my parking and gathered my stuff to lug upstairs with me. As I walked away, I stopped and turned. I don't know why. It's like an involuntary habit. I always need that last look at her. Just to see her sitting there at rest. Just to make sure she's okay. Just to appreciate the view...

Yeah... Happy 61st, ol' gal...

No comments: