Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Yeah...Yeah... Happy St.Paddy's...


So yes, today is St.Patrick's Day. It's also known and revered as 'The Second Christmas', for practising alcoholics out there. In a maze of Irish pubs near our place of employment, known locally as 'The Irish Village', you would have seen a line-up outside their door this morning, anywhere from 0930hrs on...


This world phenomena (and it is, really...) is rather intriguing. No other day in any civilization's calendar, sees so many males adopt a tolerant attitude towards wandering around in crowds naked. There is also this sudden invasion of every drinking establishment, by hordes of jiggling, giggling, pseudo-Irish 'slut-o-chauns', sporting t-shirts either advertising their breasts as being "magically delicious" or simply demanding: "Ass-rape me... I'm Irish!!".


I credit all this simply to the power of alcohol, rather than any true world endearment for the Irish, whose only real contributions to the world have been bad whiskey (the Scots actually make the very best stuff...), Guiness, Riverdance and self-genocide (referred to by the Irish themselves as: 'The Troubles'). I am neither Irish (nor do I want people to think or believe I am...), nor a 'sheeple', nor a practising alcoholic and therefore, I do not 'celebrate' St.Patrick's Day. At all...

Here at work as in many workplaces around town, we had the option of a dress-down day and if you wore something green, you could participate in a draw for something or other. A new stomach pump or a liver donor... something like that. I decided to take a pass on that and dressed in black instead.

As with all other 'festive occasions', the roads will be full of drunk drivers when I leave here tonight. Yet another wonderful by-product of this yearly international insanity. Here's hoping one of those brainless fuckers doesn't take me out for good this time, as I make my way homewards.

It will be interesting to note the absenteeism rates for tomorrow morning, of those who are suffering from self-inflicted wounds.

Yeah... St.Paddy's Day. Ya gotta love it...

No comments: