Monday, August 11, 2008

A great weekend...


Saturday was a little unusual, I suppose. Normally, we would have been out on a road trip with Baby. This week, we had to settle for the car. Mind you, with the sun roof open and the windows rolled down, it was a close second for getting my weekly dose of wind. We headed out to Cornwall, then to Massena, NY. The 138 which runs off the 417 Highway and leads South into Cornwall, is a very pretty little road. It's well maintained and scenic, as it winds through the countryside. Traffic was relatively light. We trundled along at a sedate 80kmh, just enjoying the day.

There was a bit of a lineup once we hit US Customs. It probably took us at least a half hour before we were on our way to the St.Lawrence Mall. Once there, I grabbed a bite to eat while my spouse went off in search of cool bargains. I was happy to stooge in the food court, though eventually I did limp over to their Sear's store, where I always find some incredible deals on tools. I was just lookin' this time around, though. I eventually met up with her and we both headed to Steve & Barry's. We were informed that the store would be closing down!! I have to admit I was not overly surprised, though I was disappointed. It is such a great outlet for clothing! Everything in the store is $9.86 US. Everthing!! No wonder they couldn't reap enough profit to keep it going...

Following the Mall, we went to the local Ponderosa for lunch. We both opted for the buffet, where for $9.50 you can eat until you fall on your head. The food is great! They generally have at least 2 types of chicken dishes, spare ribs, meat balls, mac and cheese, all manner of veggies, different types of spuds, chicken fingers, beef and a couple of soups. They have a very good assortment of desserts as well, including fruit cocktail, jello, pudding, cake and cookies. They also have an ice cream fountain, as if the rest wasn't enough. It's mental... For $1.00 more, they'll throw in an 8 oz. steak that you can chow down on for dessert.

After having our fill, we decided that we should investigate other surrounding towns for any possible motorcycle parts' dealers. We thought of going to Malone, but were advised that the nearest dealer was in Pottsdam, NY. So off we went, running the back roads looking for Pottsdam. It was a very pleasant ride, I'd have to say. I made a mental note to come back and retrace our footsteps once I was back in the saddle again. The roads were great and so was the scenery, although one should bear in mind that the NY State Troopers exert a constant presence here. Yes, even along the back roads... as witnessed by a local who was seen being detained by one of New York State's finest, along with his over-eager Porsche.

We located Sovie's, the local Harley dealer just outside Pottsdam village. According to the sign, they also supposedly sold and serviced Hondas, but at the parts counter inside, it was clear that they were there to serve the Hurgle-Durgle crowd exclusively. I thought I might be able to pick up a set of KuryAkyn Stiletto pegs for cheap, but the lad who waited on us didn't have a clue. He claimed to be unaware that KuryAkyn actually produced a catalog for all the metric versions (read: non-Harleys...) of their custom parts. Frustrated by such stupidity, we left. It goes without saying that I will never again darken their doorstep and that I wouldn't piss on that lad if his head was on fire. We kept on the back roads until we reached Ogdensburg, where we crossed back over into Canada. By now, I was in a hurry to get back home and just chill. Sunday would be another day. One devoted to working on Baby.

For starters, I would have to say that never again will I take for granted, having two operational arms and hands!! This after having spent Sunday wrenching on Baby, trying to get her road worthy. Attempting to use two box wrenches to tighten a brake line, with one operational arm, is not a feat I look forward to repeating any time soon.

Working on Baby or any other other bike, is something which I normally do accompanied by some soothing tunes on the shop's sound system. It's generally a relaxing, therapeutic affair. Yesterday was more like a marathon. By the time I packed it in, I was exhausted. It had it's share of frustrating moments, but I would just take a step back, go for a short union break and restart fresh. I installed the new grips and actually supplemented them with a set of Kury Stiletto end caps. They look great! While I was at it, I cleaned up the throttle sleeve and lubed the handlebar and throttle cables with a teflon-based lubricant. The throttle operation is now slick and effortless, as it should be. I remember thinking to myself that this is one Hell of a way to finally get me to do my planned maintenance...

Following the installation of the new grips, I then proceded to replace the clutch and front brake levers. The areas were cleaned out thoroughly and re-greased as needed. She now looks better than ever, what with the new mirrors as well...

I disassembled the left and right foot peg assemblies and installed the forward control extensions. On the brake side, this also involved the installation of a replacement braided stainless steel brake line. Very nice! Once I was done, I noted that the bolts on the left side appeared longer than the ones on the right side. I had transposed the bolts, not realizing that one set were 100mm and the other set was 120mm. D-Oh!! I will switch them out when I return home this evening and retorque them.

I took time out and cruised on over to the dealership, to order a set of Kury Stiletto Iso-Pegs. They should be in by Wednesday of this week. Outside of the left-hand side gas tank medallion, they are the last items on the list. I am still playing tag with the UPS man, as far as the mini spotlight goes. They attempted to deliver the light on Friday, but of course nobody was home at the time. I have since contacted UPS and will have them hold the mirror at their warehouse on Stevenage Drive, so that I might pick it up in person...maybe tomorrow.

The left hand rear turn signal has a slight bend to it, no doubt caused bt the saddlebag when it left the rail. I'll have to remove it and see what all I can do about that. I have decided that this winter, I will install the Kury license plate bracket and mini lights combo. Baby deserves it...

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2991

That and a new set of Avon tires, will have her ready for another season of adventure. The windshield? I'll leave her as is, for the time being. It's still plenty serviceable and it won't hurt me to have this little reminder.

All in all, it was a very good weekend and I feel much better for it.

No comments: