Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Knock!...Knock!...Knock!!


This morning I stepped outside the house before coming into work, intent on getting a couple of pictures of our 'new' vehicle. It is a 2004 Mazda MPV, with a paltry 34,000kms on the clock. As I stepped outside, I felt the first irreversible sign of fall knocking on our door. It was all of 9 degrees. That's not summer morning weather anymore. Not even up in the wilds of Cape Breton... If I would have had shorts on, I would have suffered 'shrinkage'.

The seasons are once more in flux, as they continue their inexorable changes. My high aspirations of enjoying the serenity of a final road trip, before the end of the season, are looking more and more like empty boasts. Pie in the sky, some might say... Castles made of sand... I am nowhere close to starting any type of physiotherapy, I know this. The mending process itself will likely take far longer than what I may have hoped for. Let's face it, there is a lot to heal in there. The shoulder and the top section of my arm were completely reconstructed. I am slated for a follow-up appointment on the 26th of August. I do not hold any great hopes, but I have yet to throw in the towel either. I'm just trying to keep my hopes and expectations realistic.

I have always loved fall riding. Yes, I love riding any time of the year, but the fall provides such wonderfully comfortable weather for gearing up. Fleece tops under riding jackets, neck wraps, heavy, sturdy gauntlets... all designed to provide warmth, comfort and security. No worries about overheating either. The air is crisp and cool, with a different flavour to it. It brings me alive... I can still recall a trip last season to Oka, QC in mid-fall. The air was filled with the aroma of apples, as the trees lay heavy with them. What an experience that was.

I stopped for a couple of 'hot dogs steamés' and a bottle of spruce beer (la bière d'épinette), at the little restaurant near the Oka ferry. It was just wonderful...

*Sigh!*

No comments: